Thursday, September 19, 2013

Sidekick Tote, part 2

Although I really like my original sidekick tote it's too big for most of my outings and I don't like always having to wear it across my chest.  So here is my second attempt at this pattern.  Well, actually my second and third attempt because I made one the same for my mom.  


The main fabric might look familiar -- I was inspired to use essex linen after seeing this onethis one and of course this one.   For the pocket, I used some of the Stamped fabric that I won in a giveaway over at the Long Thread awhile ago.  I love it, it's so cheerful!  (Ellen has a new line coming out soon -- it's called Garden and it looks equally fabulous).  


My mom said she would never carry it messenger-style, so I just used a 21" strap for hers.  For mine, I figured out how to use the adjustable hardware (not difficult but I just couldn't wrap my head around it the first time around).  I used scraps of quilting batting to pad the straps instead of interfacing and I love the way it turned out, so much nicer to carry.  


I love having an outside pocket for my keys and this time I used a magnetic snap instead of velcro. I added a water bottle pocket inside again because it's worked really well in my other one.  I used duck cloth for the interior just for it's durability and this time made sure to match the top of the lining to the outside.  It's a great pattern and gives a really professional looking bag. 


2 comments:

  1. Lovely colours. I think I have an Essex linen sized hole in my fabric stash that needs filling!
    So glad to have you sewing along on the Little Things To Sew Challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank-you! I ordered 3 yards with no real plan :0 but somehow I don't think I'll have trouble using it up.

      I'm looking forward to the LTTS challenge. thanks for putting it out there!

      Delete