Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Ghastlies and Ice Cream

Wow, did I ever buy a lot of this fabric last year!  Good thing I still love it (and even better that my daughters do, too!).  

This is an O + S Ice Cream Dress for my eldest.  She's 7 but tall and skinny so it's a size 5 with the size 7 length.  After I cut it out, I wished I'd given myself even more length so I used 1/4" instead of 1/2" seams on the bottom panel.  I hope with the topstitching and understitching that that decision doesn't come back to haunt me (no pun intended, hehe!). 

The dress is fully lined but it wished I would have seen Nicole's version before making mine, it would have saved me a couple steps and made the dress hang better.  Instead of using one piece + the yoke, I kept the double hem and just cut a second front and back panel for the lining. Next time!

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Tova for my mom

This is my fifth (!!) tova.  This summer, I made a white linen one that my mom admired when we were on holiday together so I decided to make her one in some cream-verging-on-yellow linen from fabrics-store.com.

She's shorter than me but mine fit her well in the shoulders and chest so the only change I made was to take an inch off the bottom.  Otherwise I did my now standard (hehe!) changes: added SA for French seams, dropped armscye (not sure if that's the right word but it sounds better than armpit!) by 1/4", increased bust on sides by 1/4".   I also stitched up the placket a couple of inches.

It's in the mail on the way to her for her birthday so I hope it fits!

As the linen is slightly sheer, I doubled the inset piece (thanks Nina for the suggestion!).  I used the inside piece to enclose the seam allowances so it's almost as nice on the inside.  Here's a really crappy in progress photo of how I did it: I treated the two inset pieces as one when making the placket but left the inside free until after I sewed the inset to the rest of the top.  I slip stitched it to the seam allowance before topstitching everything from the outside.