I've been thinking about making this top for a couple of months and was finally spurred on by the Spring Top Sewalong over at Made by Rae. I didn't use a pattern -- just traced a sweater I usually feel good wearing. I don't sew much for myself but as this is only three pieces and ummm, . . . six seams I felt fairly confident :).
It took under a metre of a knit I had left over from another project. The fabric was originally $10 for 3 metres so it's a pretty cheap top!
I had a couple of problems though -- I wasn't sure what to do with the exposed seam on the inside of the collar so I just left it as it's usually going to be covered by the cowl. Maybe a flat felled seam next time? (Can you do that with a knit??)
There's also an exposed seam at the back of the cowl, which I just stitched down but it doesn't look all that professional either.
My other problem was the hem going all lettuce-y, which wasn't what I wanted. I tried lengthening the stitch and that helped a bit but it's still not flat. I didn't want the same thing on the sleeves so I left them unhemmed. Not so great if I want to wear this as a more "dressy" top.
All in all, I do like how this turned out and I think I will be comfortable wearing it so I will definitely try again with some nicer fabric.
Tuesday, April 26, 2011
I've never won a giveaway before last week when I won a copy of the e-book Art not Craft from Christie Burnett of Childhood 101. She has some fantastic ideas on her blog and the book looks very inspirational. I'll post more when I try out some of the activities with my girls. Thanks Christie!
Sunday, April 24, 2011
This year I actually got around to making fabric easter baskets for the girls. They're quite big -- over 9 inches tall and 25 inches around -- so that they can fit all the eggs our Easter bunny hides for us. The fabric is Heather Ross' Far Far Away II, which I have also used for this plastic bag caddy, this quilt, this skirt and this diaper clutch. I've been trying not to hoard it but it's hard because it's so lovely!
I didn't use a pattern -- I just traced a child's plate for the bottom and cut a rectangle big enough to go around it for the sides. I added quilt batting to the exterior before sewing it together and lined the baskets with quilting cotton. The top band and handle on the one above is linen. The handles on both baskets are interfaced with craft interfacing. It's obviously not strong enough to keep the handles standing up so I actually should be calling them buckets rather than baskets :)
Thursday, April 7, 2011
I made this top using the free pattern from Oliver + S. It came together really quickly and looks fantastic. The designer is right -- the sewing method is very elegant. I can see myself making these in every colour (and pattern!) for the girls for summer. And maybe even lengthening it to make it a dress.
I used a lightweight shirting in a pale yellow ordered from fabric.com. I love how cutting the ruffles on the bias shows off the subtle grain of the fabric. The back is slightly see-through but I don't think that matters, and the layers on the front provide enough coverage.
Wednesday, April 6, 2011
Friday, April 1, 2011
skirt. The fabric is It's a Hoot by MoMo for Moda Fabrics.