Saturday, April 30, 2011

Cowl Neck Spring Top

I've been thinking about making this top for a couple of months and was finally spurred on by the Spring Top Sewalong over at Made by Rae.  I didn't use a pattern -- just traced a sweater I usually feel good wearing.  I don't sew much for myself but as this is only three pieces and ummm, . . . six seams I felt fairly confident :). 


It took under a metre of a knit I had left over from another project.  The fabric was originally $10 for 3 metres so it's a pretty cheap top! 

I had a couple of problems though -- I wasn't sure what to do with the exposed seam on the inside of the collar so I just left it as it's usually going to be covered by the cowl.  Maybe a flat felled seam next time?  (Can you do that with a knit??)

There's also an exposed seam at the back of the cowl, which I just stitched down but it doesn't look all that professional either.

My other problem was the hem going all lettuce-y, which wasn't what I wanted.  I tried lengthening the stitch and that helped a bit but it's still not flat.  I didn't want the same thing on the sleeves so I left them unhemmed.  Not so great if I want to wear this as a more "dressy" top. 

All in all, I do like how this turned out and I think I will be comfortable wearing it so I will definitely try again with some nicer fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment