We've had at least 50 cm of snow in the last week and it's -12 today so, although technically it is sunny, J. has absolutely no need of a sundress anytime soon, lol. Once I got it in my head, though, there was nothing I could do but make it (despite the lengthy list of weather-appropriate sewing I have to do!).
I made a size 6 for my tall skinny seven year old and added two inches to the body and one inch to the bottom. I'm wishing I added more but I wanted to make sure that I got the full effect of the ombre, which I adore. I'm a little disappointed in the fabric, though. I washed it before cutting it out and I didn't notice until after I'd laid most of the dress out that there was a patch that didn't wash well -- you can kind of see in the picture below that it looks like there's a bit of extra dye in one spot. It ended up being in the back ruffle so I don't think it matters too much.
Because I had decided to flat fell the side seams, I felt like I needed to topstitch the rest. Halfway through I was wishing I hadn't though because of course I didn't have thread to match each colour. It's a little more of a statement than I would have liked, especially around the pockets and the hem. I could have stopped and gone to the store for matching thread but once I started this dress stopping was not an option!
I'm also not sold on these buttons so haven't done the button holes yet. I couldn't find the ones I had in mind -- I think a little magpie may have squirreled them away (although the prime suspect denies it!). I'm going to Vancouver in January so am going to hit up Button Button and Dressew for something with a little more pizazz. J. wont be wearing this anytime soon anyway!