Tuesday, February 21, 2012

O + S Family Reunion Dress

My youngest is turning four next month *sniff* *sniff*.  She is a spunky little thing with a wicked sense of humour.  And strong opinions about what she will and will not wear.  I love this dress and I really hope that she does, too.  I just can’t tell her that – I have to play it cool and pretend like I don’t care if she ever even tries it on.  

The flickr group has some great versions of this dress in prints but when I saw this adorable one, I knew I wanted to do a jean dress. 

The main fabric is a lightweight stretch denim I got on clearance last summer at Dress Sew in Vancouver.  The hem facing is It’s a Hoot Marshmellow and Cherry Eggs by Moda.


After reading the reviews about how this dress fits, I cut a size 3 with about 4 extra inches of length.  My girl usually wear size 4 in RTW but her chest measurement puts her as size 2T on the O+S size chart, and I didn’t want the neckline to be too big. 

My one complaint about O+S patterns is that they do not provide a lengthen/shorten line.  I always have to lengthen their patterns and never know where to do it.  This time I added it to the bottom.  Hopefully it doesn’t give it too much volume.
 

I like the red topstitching on the dark fabric but man do you ever see all the wobbles!   I also wish I had taken the “hint” to pull the threads through and tie them on the back when doing the pintucks.  That’ll teach me not to barrel ahead without reading the whole section!

edited to add:  here's picture of my six year old modelling the dress (it's a birthday present so I can't try it on my littlest).  It's a bit tight across the chest but she wants her own now.  I don't have the bigger size pattern but I think a size four with more length would work.


12 comments:

  1. I love it! The denim, the facing, the contrast stitching - the whole thing! I just ordered this pattern and can't wait to make it. I may have to do mine in denim, too ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank-you! I think the solid fabric shows off what a great pattern this is. Good luck with yours!

      Delete
  2. This is gorgeous!
    I would wear it myself!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank-you! maybe a new lisette pattern??

      Delete
  3. Very cute dress, I like the denim and the topstitching. Good choices. I was scanning your posts and actually had to come back to this one and comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank-you for commenting! I gave it to Miss Thing earlier in the week and she's having none of it so it's nice to know that other people like it :P

      Delete
  4. How lovely! I just traced out this pattern with a contrasting hem facing too. Maybe I can still eek out some extra length. . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank-you. It's a great pattern -- Miss Thing still hasn't chosen to wear it but I enjoyed making it!

      Delete
  5. oh my, just looking around your blog... this dress is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank-you! I plan on making another one soon but this time I'm going to let Miss Thing pick out the fabric. She's worn this a few times but as it's not pink or purple or flowery, it's not her favourite. Too bad because it is super cute on her!

      Delete
  6. sooo cute!! I definitly want one for my 6 years old!!

    ReplyDelete