Thursday, March 29, 2012

Shot Cotton Tova

I feel a bit un-original posting this top -- a pdf option has made the pattern much more readily available so lovely versions of the Tova are popping up all over blogland.  Not that that's a bad thing.  I love this pattern -- it sews up quickly, fits well, is comfortable and looks great.  And, despite it's popularity online, I'm pretty sure I'm not in any danger of showing up somewhere in the same outfit as some one I know :).

Sorry for the crappy picture.  I tried to take one of me wearing it but that was even worse.  The fabric is Kaffe Fassett, Shot Cotton in Bordeaux and it's really lovely -- very lightweight and soft, and with a wonderful depth of colour.  I ordered it from Pam at Mad About Patchwork.  I'd highly recommend her shop for quick shipping and great costumer service.  And we obviously think alike -- she's currently making a Tova out of aqua shot cotton.

verykerryberry is hosting a sew-a-long of this pattern and has some great posts and tips.  I joined but apparently am not very good at "sewing along" and and finished early :).

By the way, the last time I made this, I had trouble with the collar fitting properly.  This time I staystitched the neck edge and it was fine.

edited to add:  I finally coerced my six year old into taking a picture for me.  I really like this colour and I like this top but a word to the wise if you're going to use shot cotton -- it frays.  Like crazy.  I really did mean to increase the seam allowance this time so I could do French seams but wasn't even thinking when I cut this out.  Guess I should write stuff like that on my pattern pieces, shouldn't I?   When I get time to sew I'm always anticipating being interrupted so don't always pay enough attention to what I'm doing . . .

9 comments:

  1. Stay stitching is a great tip for the neck, I must remember to link to you for the neck post next week! Shot cotton is a great choice, makes a lovely Tova!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for your comment and thanks for the sew-a-long. It really is a great pattern that I can see making over and over again.

      Delete
  2. Your Tova is beautiful and I love your fabric choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course I forgot the link but have added it now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did wonder whether I ought to have stay-stitched the neck edge. Perhaps I will next time, my collar could have been more even. Your version looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, I just looked at your post and the close-up shot of your collar is flawless! I don't think you could improve it :)

      I think the linen/rayon blend I used first might have had more give to it than the cotton but regardless, staystitching never hurts.

      Delete
  5. Fantastic colour! How is the fabric holding up by now (I saw you mentioned bobbling in another post??). And great tip about staystitching the neckline, I hadn't thought of that. Thank you for your kind comment on my version - and it's nice to know I'm not the only one who bought paper instead of pdf :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, unfortunately I wouldn't recommend it -- it's pilling, too, and it's a b*&%$ to iron!
      I actually prefer paper patterns although the cost did make me gulp before I hit buy! I'm happy it turned out to be such a great pattern.

      Delete