Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Sally Dress Pattern Testing

Way back in July I was lucky enough to be chosen to by Shannon of luvinthemommyhood to test her newest pattern -- the Sally Dress.

It's a great pattern: cute, beginner friendly and a quick sew.  I particularly love the square neckline and the shape of the straps on the shoulder.  K. particularly loves the huge pockets :).  I used some voile that I had been hoarding saving for just the right project -- little folks honey berry for the outside free spirit froth (I think) for the lining of the bodice and the pockets.

Shannon adjusted the pattern slightly since I made this version so I think some of the fit issues I had have been resolved.  I initially made a size 4 bodice but it was too tight so I ripped it out and made a size 5, which proved to be too big.  The second time around, I added a placket and buttons to the back to make it easier for K. to get on and off but that was totally unnecessary.  The neckline on the size 5 gaped a bit and the straps fell off her shoulders so I added a few pintucks to the front to bring it in.  I plan to try the final version (this time with sleeves!) but with vacations and the start of school, I haven't had time yet.

You can buy a pdf of the pattern here or here.

I love the square neckline.

And, just for fun, a couple of pictures showing her true personality :)


  1. Looks really good! Love the big pockets.

    1. thanks! so does K. -- she came home from school yesterday with them full of "treasures"